Financial services in Myanmar are underdeveloped.
According to UNCDF’s Making Access Possible Report (2013), over 70% of Myanmar citizens have no access to formal financial services.
Just 5% of adults have savings accounts with a formal financial institution, while over 32% of the adult population regularly borrow from unregulated moneylenders, who typically charge interest rates of 10 – 20% per month.
DAWN expands the availability of high-quality, affordable and appropriate services for Myanmar’s financially excluded. DAWN provides group-guaranteed loans, interest-bearing savings accounts and financial literacy training to low-income women who own and operate their own microenterprises. DAWN also provides larger individual loans to underserved small business owners who seek working capital to grow their business, but for whom banks remain out of reach, due to more stringent requirements and complex processes.
DAWN is registered with Myanmar’s Ministry of Planning, Finance and Industry and operates with a deposit-taking license granted by the Financial Regulatory Department.
Provide a wide range of high-quality financial services to the underserved, reaching low-income people, micro entrepreneurs, and small enterprises across Myanmar.
Be the best microfinance institution in Myanmar, improving the lives of the families we serve.
Respect, Excellence, Innovation and a Passion for Social Change.
DAWN offers group-guaranteed loans from MMK200,000 to MMK3 million to women microentrepreneurs who:
- Own and have been operating their own business for at least one year, and will use the loan proceeds toward the business.
- Demonstrate that the business can support on-time repayment of their loan.
- Agree to attend three financial literacy training sessions prior to receiving their loan.
- Agree to attend bi-weekly or monthly group meetings for the duration of their loan term.
- Pledge to support their fellow group members to ensure the group repays their loan installments on time.
DAWN offers larger individual loans from MMK3 million to MMK10 million to small business owners who:
- Are experienced business owners of successful wholesale or retail shops, restaurants, service centres, production facilities and other similar activities.
- Have been operating their business for at least 2 years and have been in the same business location for at least 1 year.
- Want to grow their business and need a loan to use towards working capital, machinery or other equipment for business operations, business improvement and business expansion.
- Demonstrate their capacity to repay their loan through a comprehensive evaluation.
Facts and Figures
- As of 31 December 2019, DAWN serves more than 240,000 clients and has a total outstanding loan portfolio of more than MMK77 billion (USD52 million).
- Effective 1 October 2019, DAWN charges an effective annual interest rate of 28% on loans (2.33% per month) and pays 14% annually (1.167% per month) on compulsory savings deposits. DAWN also has a deposit-taking license to offer clients voluntary savings accounts at 10% per annum.
- DAWN has rapidly expanded to 63 branches (as of 31 December 2019) geographically dispersed across seven regions in Myanmar: Yangon, Bago, Mon, Kayin, Magway, Mandalay and Sagaing.