Financial services in Myanmar are underdeveloped.
According to UNCDF’s Making Access Possible Report (2013), over 70% of Myanmar citizens have no access to formal financial services.
Just 5% of adults have savings accounts with a formal financial institution, while over 32% of the adult population regularly borrow from unregulated moneylenders, who typically charge interest rates of 10 – 20% per month.
DAWN’s Mission is to provide a wide range of high-quality financial services to the underserved, reaching low-income people, microentrepreneurs, and small enterprises across Myanmar.
Our Vision is to be the best microfinance institution in Myanmar, improving the lives of the families we serve.
Our Values are Respect, Excellence, Innovation, and Passion for Social Change.
Seeking to expand the availability of high-quality, affordable, and appropriate services for Myanmar’s financially excluded, DAWN provides group-guaranteed loans, interest-bearing savings accounts, and financial literacy training to low-income women who own and operate their own business.
- Own their own business
- Have been operating their business for at least one year
- Agree to use the loan proceeds toward a productive use for their business
- Demonstrate to a loan officer that their business can support on-time repayment of their loan
- Attend three financial literacy training sessions prior to receiving their loan (for Group Lending)
- Agree to attend bi-weekly group meetings for the duration of their loan term (for Group Lending)
- Pledge to support their fellow group members to ensure the group repays their loan installments on time (for Group Lending)
Key Operating Statistics
- As of June 30, 2018, DAWN served over 160,000 clients in 42 branches across five regions of Myanmar.
- DAWN’s total outstanding loan portfolio is over 42 billion Myanmar Kyats (~$30mm USD).
- DAWN offers interest-bearing savings accounts.
- DAWN offers group guaranteed loans for business investment and seasonal agriculture, and larger individual loans for business owners in select areas of Yangon.
- DAWN charges 2.5% interest per month on loans and pays 1.25% interest per month on mandatory savings deposits.
- DAWN’s 42 branches are geographically disbursed across five regions of lower Myanmar:
- Yangon Division
- Bago Division
- Mon State
- Kayin State
- Magway Division